Last Monday, the first day of school, the kids decided to take their "showers" in the sprinklers. I was picking weeds when I suddenly heard Caleb screaming repeatedly, "Its broken! I broke my arm!" I went running over to where he was and found him laying on the patio. A bright red ring appeared immediately around his wrist. We took him inside to ice him down and called Nancy for advice. She was still driving home with Ami, and from Derek's personal experience, we didn't really trust Gary's advice. :) (I still love you). I drove Caleb to Urgent Care (I knew Derek would be better for the task, but I knew it'd be a late night and he had to work the next day. Little did I know that I would make it an even later night.) The good news is we didn't have to yell at Caleb because he was already berating himself. Apparently, he had a great idea and encouraged the girls to follow him as he ran down the wet slide. Turned out to really not be that great of an idea as he ended up face first on the patio. The girls decided not to follow him. Hooray for some sense of self control and self preservation. He ended up with a compound fracture that appeared to extend into the growth plate. We were told he might have to have surgery and get pins in his arm. (This is where my part of the story comes in, but I'll have to save it for another time). It was a very long, pain-filled night, with little sleep. He got a blessing at about 1am which brought him some comfort. Two days later we saw the orthopedic surgeon and took new x-rays. The new images show that the break barely missed the growth plate, so now its a waiting game to see if surgery is required. If his arm heals properly he probably will not need surgery.
So, the boys will be boys bit--On Thursday, Caleb was feeling pretty good at school and decided to play kickball. He was the pitcher. To hear him tell the story is funny. He got two strikes on the kicker and knew he could strike her out. On the third pitch she surprisingly kicked a hard one straight for him, and guess what? He went for it and it smacked him straight on the broken part of his arm. He was in so much pain he had to come home early. Boys make me crazy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Um, well, I am afraid I haven't a single idea to offer. That's horrible (somewhat akin to Logan's attempt to slip and slide in the shower--which netted him stitches and a trip to the ER). Are they going to cast it? I would certainly hope so!
He did get a cast last Wed. He's going back in this morning for new x-rays and I think the doc's going to decide today about the surgery. Funny you mention Logan-my 3 year old nephew had to get his head stapled last night because he split it open. He was just being a crazy little boy!
Woops-that was actually "Erin said"
Sorry-I think its "complex" not "compound". It didn't break the skin.
How exciting! I don't think I've ever had that sort of adventure.
Apparently they have changed the definition of a compound fracture. I say this because at work we have had people get compound fractures and it doesn't break the skin either. I guess they decided that compounds didn't have to go to that extreme to be compounds anymore.
Dear Caleb, I love you very much, BUT YOU HAVE GOT TO BE MORE CAREFUL AND SENSIBLE. THAT MEANS STOP AND THINK BEFORE YOU TRY THINGS. Of course this isn't likely to change anything any time soon. I still love you and hope you feel better soon so that you can enjoy some of the attention that having a cast brings. I know a little bit about casts having had one for six or so weeks after breaking my foot playing DUCK, DUCK, GOOSE when I was a mom with five or six kids.
Were there no adults present at the kick ball game?
So, Erin, what's the rest of YOUR story?
Post a Comment