Once again, Mom, I ran out of time to call. We were behind in part due to the time change. I am sorry!
Yesterday, we took off to Colorado Springs for some more 'touristy' adventure. As soon as we got there, we headed for Cheyenne Mountain Zoo. It was a fun climb and tour--it's all at a fairly steep grade at the foot of Cheyenne Mountain. Hippos, orangutans, gorrillas, komodo dragons, snow leopards, birds (budgies, rosellas, cockatiels) in a walk in aviary, a fantastic giraffe exhibit were among the many attractions.
However, the fun ended when we attempted to stay at a local Super 8. We were told they had no accomadations for us as we had too many for one room (according to Colorado state law)! However, Best Western and Holiday Inn Express had no problem offering us rooms (though they were both cost prohibitive!)...finally we found Travelodge at an extremely affordable rate with clean rooms and willing to accomadate all of us (though I am certain their rooms were no larger than Super 8's!).
After a nice stay with Travelodge, we had an early start for the next local attraction we wanted to see before heading for Kansas: Cave of the Winds. Logan was a little nervous as he was not certain what to expect, but we all enjoyed a fun tour of a very intriguing cave system. A.J., Ian and Logan all wanted to be at the front of the group with the guide--they wanted to see everything first. They loved the many formations we saw and wanted me to take pictures of it all (unfortunately, I had forgotten to plug in the batteries--I hadn't realized I had given them that much of a work out at the zoo. So, I missed a few...). We got to duck, suck and tuck in a couple of places and were told to especially watch out for a pair of formations named "Ping" and "Pong" because if you met 'Ping', odds are you would meet 'Pong' next (and pain would follow).
It was enjoyable and afterward we were on our way to Kansas--or so we thought. Colorado Springs does not have very accurate signage for US 24 East I can assure you...this cost us about a half hour or more. GRRRRRRRRR!
But, here we are and all the boys are snug as a bug in a rug and so should I be. We swam, watched Ben 10 and ate dinner. If you are ever on I 70 and need a place to rest around Wakeeney, I highly recommend their Best Western! We love it.
As a side note, we have thoroughly enjoyed your recording of "Bill Cosby-Wonderfulness", Dad. We listened to it for the second time today. The first, Shar laughed so hard (especially at "The Playground") that she said it was a good thing she wasn't driving! A.J. quotes it often--particularly "I want something that go round and round for 5 minutes and then puke! No kid ever asked for that!".
Well, we'll be back home tomorrow evening, so this may be the last time you hear from us for a while. We love you all!
Wednesday, June 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Well, it shouldn't be the last time we hear from you in awhile!! You should still check this whenever you are in a location to do so. It's good to hear that you're enjoying yourselves!!!
"budgies"...that's a funny word.
Post a Comment