Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Pros and Cons of Ice Storms

Monday marked the beginning of another school-wide project. I am the president of two separate ad agencies. These ad agencies are putting together ad campaigns for a tanning salon and a flower shop. Each agency is competing against 3 other agencies for these accounts. I think it's really cool -- my agencies don't agree with me.


Anyway, at approximately 12:00, the freezing rain moves in. The district math coordinator still tries to hold a meeting after school. She says she'll keep it short, but I know better - I don't go. All of the teachers and staff band together to help each other get into their cars and on their way. It's an uneventful drive home.


Broken Arrow cancels school for Tuesday but Spartan is stubborn so Jeremy and I still get up shortly after 5:30 am. I turn the tv on and start watching the school closings. Spartan must have wised up - they're closed too! So we head back to bed. It's wonderful to stay home on a wintery day! The temperature stays below 30 and the sleet continues well into the evening. Jeremy learns that his work still wants people to come in if they can, so early in the afternoon, he takes a test drive down to McDonald's and back. When he walks through the door, he reports that he got stuck 8 times but always found help. The final time he got stuck at the end of our street and hadn't found enough help. I help him find a helpful neighbor and the two of them push while I drive. It's safely back in the driveway and neither the car nor jeremy leave again.


Broken Arrow and Spartan both wisely canceled school again today. I don't know if I have succeeded in making this somewhat boring story into a relatively interesting narative, but I have to say I love snow days! I have gotten a lot done some of which I could not have done without Jeremy's help. My favorite part is being all cozy and warm inside while the storm did its worst. The sun is shining today but the temperature is still low so there's a chance that we will not have school tomorrow either. I personally don't mind that but I feel bad for the teacher who put so much work into planning our school project. I hope everybody is staying warm! Love you all!

3 comments:

Erin said...

The snow looks beautiful, but I'm SOOO glad I'm not in it. Every year at this time Derek and I are reminded how much we love Arizona. Right now, I'm in a short sleeve t-shirt and bare foot. Ashlynn played outside all morning in shorts. I think we're in the high 60's, low 70's. Aah, sunshine.

Mom said...

You made it sound very nice. However, tho I normally would be all over this great opportunity for snuggly at home time, I have had the flu and your dad went off to work both days. So it has come and nearly gone without much fun from us. However Brenda's boys have made very good use of it all. The have spent hours outside enjoying the ice and snow. "We never get to play in this stuff!" says Brigham when neighbors want to play indoors instead.

Sharlin said...

It has been a blessing to have everyone home for a couple of days. I had a two day straight migraine with a headache the night before that, so I am very glad we have had those days together. I will count my blessings!