World War II Memorial photos:
Abe's Memorial: Please be gentle in your comments as this is the first time I have uploaded anything to the blog. I know it is disjointed/crazy, but that's me! ;-P
And I didn't take the time to edit the photos (we have to get going and I didn't want to waste the wonderful conection we had at this Comfort Suites).
Yep, it's that time: going home. We arrived in Leesburg, Virginia on Wednesday evening and left today. We saw Shar's brothers and their families and her dad. We went to the Smithsonian museums (Air & Space--including the extension at Dulles, and Natural History), Lincoln Memorial, Korean War Memorial and the World War II Memorial.
The Smithsonians are nice, but I think everyone needs to see those three memorials. They were by far the most poignant parts of D.C. Just realize the parking stinks and the native drivers' attitudes are even worse.
Make certain you look into Abe's eyes when you visit that memorial. You won't be able to look away. He looks like he cares about you and everyone else there--and you know what, he probably does.
Korean War Memorial is eerie with an entire platoon in bronze spread in a loose formation. I felt as though they might turn to me and speak to me as if I was one of them.
The Smithsonians are nice, but I think everyone needs to see those three memorials. They were by far the most poignant parts of D.C. Just realize the parking stinks and the native drivers' attitudes are even worse.
Make certain you look into Abe's eyes when you visit that memorial. You won't be able to look away. He looks like he cares about you and everyone else there--and you know what, he probably does.
Korean War Memorial is eerie with an entire platoon in bronze spread in a loose formation. I felt as though they might turn to me and speak to me as if I was one of them.
The World War II Memorial represents this struggle well and the quotes are aptly used. One side is dedicated to the Atlantic struggle, the other the Pacific.
Some of the driving was hair-raising, but it was worthwhile.
8 comments:
It looks like you all have had fun!!! It's great to see pics of all those places.
Wow! What an adventure. I'd have to agree with you about the eerieness. (sp?) That sure would be neat to see, though! See you all soon!
Talk about a coincidence. Just before I read this, I was watching Reading Rainbow and they talked to the architect who designed the Korean War Memorial. She talked about how she designed it and why she chose black granite. Then I get to hear from your boys! That's cool!
Wow, April! That is VERY cool. What timing, eh?! So why did she choose black granite for the back wall?
Great post Chris! Looks like an even greater family outing.
Well, it was actually the Vietnam Memorial but I think it still applies. She chose to do the wall because she wanted to make it look like they had just cut into the earth and polished it. She chose black granite because, when polished, it is completely reflective; creating a sense of two worlds, ours, and the reflections. She also chose it because when you cut into it it turns white so it makes the names easy to read, but when it rains, the names disappear and reappear as they dry; giving it a sense of change and of life.
I've always wanted to go to the Lincoln Memorial and get a pic just like that!
Post a Comment