To see what they could see.
Okay, so it was one mountain and a couple of foothills, but we were busy in the mountains today! We went to Lookout Mountain, overlooking Denver and Golden, then to Red Rocks and walked a trail there and walked the amphitheater, then toured Dinosaur Ridge.
My favorite was definitely Lookout Mountain--it was nice. We saw some of the other peaks of the Rockies on our way up and the boys were just 'oohing' and 'aahing' all the way! They were so excited to see and be in the mountains. Ian and A.J. were picking up all sorts of rocks and asking what they were--my limited knowledge of geology was definitely put to the test. There is definitely mica and lots of quartz in the rockies and either basalt or granite--that was about the limit of my identification. Thankfully, that's about all there really was there.
Red Rocks was neat, especially the trail running along the pair of red rocks up to the amphitheater. Fascinating geology, in my opinion. Very steep and long stairs, however.
Dinosaur Ridge was very accessible as it was simply the sides of the state highway we were on! Fossil imprints of plants such as possible mangrove swamps, ripples left over by who knows what, but the coolest was definitely the dinosaur FOOTPRINTS! I'm not kidding, either. They were obviously footprints and very likely those of the iguanadon.
There was a rather long switchback trail we hiked, thinking there was more dinosaur information or sites to see only to discover it simply went up the hill. It was a hiking trail, not necessarily part of Dinosaur Ridge. Ian didn't care, he wanted to scale it! We've got a future hiker in our midst and we (Shar and I) are excited about that. The other three.....not so much. At least not so much today. We did get to a summit, which included a view of not-so-distant Red Rocks amphitheater. Ian and I got a picture of us at the summit.
Tomorrow, it's off to Colorado Springs before we begin the first leg of the trip home (we decided we liked the Wakeeney Best Western so much we made a reservation to stay again Wednesday night!).
We love you all and enjoy sharing these experiences with you! Thanks for setting up this blog, Ami!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
As hard as I tried, your days still sound at least 3 times more exciting than mine! Oh well. Glad you've been having fun!
Ami, that's how things happen after you have a family of your own. Chris, why not just continue across the state to kc?
It's okay, Ami! I found your day that you just wrote about VERY amusing, believe it or don't.
Andrew, sorry bud, but we have to get home to prepare for day camp, we've got to check on our fish and I want my new Heroscape that's supposed to arrive this Friday! We're scheduled to play that night, too! :)
Funny story to share: As we were getting into the car yesterday to go to the mountains, the boys started reaching for their handheld electronic games. Shar said, "You guys may get sick playing with those on our way up the mountains." I said, "Yeah, you guys will go 'Blah' and then I will see you do that and go 'Blah' myself and while I am going 'Blah' you will all be saying 'AHHHHHHH!' and after I am finished going 'Blah', I will look up and say 'AHHHHHHHHH!' too and then we'll all be in trouble!"
They laughed so hard the electronic games stayed put. A.J. kept repeating 'Blah!', 'Ahhhhh!', 'Blah!', 'Ahhhhh!' and chuckling to himself.
You guys have your own comedy team! The day trip sounds fantastic. Did you take time to smell the pine trees? Have a safe trip back. Call?!
That sounds like a great day!
I know that you have all that to do and that you "have to" make it back for your game on Friday evening. We need to talk about the website you order from!
As a matter of fact, Mom, that's exactly what Shar said at Lookout
Mountain--"Ah, can you smell the pine trees?".
That was a wonderful place.
Post a Comment