Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Blizzard of 2011!

The driveway will need to be shoveled before I can get out of the garage.
The view out the front door indicates a lot of shoveling will be required to get out of here too.
The birds are pretty happy about our little feeder. There have been some bird fights too - some feathered creatures refused to share.
As you can see the swing seat is only about six inches off the snow. It is usually about 2 feet off the ground.
This is the view from our back room. We put the tree out on Saturday and it has been providing some shelter for the birds but not much longer!

Well they have been forecasting it for a week now and they said it would be bad. But they are weathermen right? They're the ones who don't have to be right very often and still get paid well. I will have to concede that they were right on the money this time. They said we would have a blizzard starting Monday night and we would get over 12 inches of snow. Then yesterday all the schools were announcing closings and the airlines even canceled all their morning fights. I told Nancy that it sure would be funny if this was like other storms and we only got an inch or so of snow.
Shortly after going to bed we saw a lightning flash and then big thunder and that continued through the night. The wind howled and the temperature dropped to 12 deg and the snow came. By early morning we had about 8 inches and at noon it is 12 and still coming. Winds have been up to 29 mph and that makes a very low "chilly factory".
We have an emergency number at work that we can call to see if the company is closed and I called it all the way up till 8 AM and they said there was no closing. So I called everyone I could at the office and nobody answered. So the official closing came at 8:20! Rick Roberts started to go to work but changed his mind after backing out. So nobody has been out of the neighborhood and my car isn't high enough.

6 comments:

Andrew said...

Thanks for the pics! Our snow started this morning, but isn't supposed to stop til 6am Wednesday morning. I probably have ten inches outside right now and still have twelve hours to go. :)

Mom said...

Yikes! That's a lot. Be careful when you HAVE to be out in it. Did you go to work last night? How are your roads.

Your dad went to work this morning. Left about 9 and took 30 minutes getting to Johnson St. But called to say it was fine after that. He's not at the office yet though. We'll see how that goes.
It took us three different shifts to get the drive cleared. Up to my knees or more the full length and packed by the wind.

April Dawn said...

Jeremy and I are both home again. Well, sort of. He just headed out on foot to see if he could help anyone and then out to the highway to see if there's any improvement. I'd say he's got a combination of cabin fever and gottahelpemitis. :)

I'm just staying warm, taking pictures, grading papers, and I'm going to make that man of mine a scarf!

Mom said...

Your dad got to work and home okay and just called to say that he was safely at work again this morning. The expressway(not) has one lane cleared, but it has to zigzag around abandoned vehicles all over the place. Those will likely be towed today if folks haven't figured how to get them home themselves. Baby it really is COLD outside. -5 on your dad's weather station readout!

Brenda said...

I know you guys are all snowed in and all, but I think we deserve some sympathy out this way. For 3 mornings in a row we've had a wind chill factor in the teens. Our landscaping is frozen. Our fountains are frozen. Our people are frozen. Snow is at least part of a normal winter for you!! I don't know how much longer I can function like this. I think it might be armageddon.

Mom said...

Your dad says it took about 10 minutes to get to the end of our street. Brenda, some folks here are calling this Snomageddon! I do feel sympathy for you! That is way too cold for the southwest desert! April finished the scarf for Jeremy and it's great--nearly 6 feet long! Lot's of wraps to keep him warm.