While this isn't a travelogue or event, I am curious to know what we as family enjoy watching when we're glued to the tube...can be currently in production or a blast from the past--whatever you watch is fair game.
Here's my Top 5 and why:
1) Doctor Who--I hated the stage productions of previous decades of The Doctor, but the recent incarnation starring Christopher Eccleston/David Tennant have been some of the most fun TV I can remember. It's alternately funny, often accurate commentary on society and demonstrates what one man can do if he tries hard enough. Of course, he's not just any man; He's "The Doctor" and the last of the Timelords. Shar and I watch it nearly every Friday on PBS (and so do April and Jeremy and sometimes Mom and Dad!)--even if it is one we've seen 2 or 3 times before! Unfortunately, the DVDs are incredibly expensive.
2) Human Target--Brand new on FOX. If people need personal security, they look to hire Christopher Chance. However, he's a body guard who WANTS the enemy to act in order to eliminate the threat--hence the title. Picture a one hour show that is as fun, amusing and exciting as a James Bond flick without the "extracurricular" Bond stuff (so far, anyway). Engaging characters as well.
3) Justice League--Come on, you knew my comic book penchant was going to show up at some point, didn't you? Some of you might have expected Smallville to be on my list. While I have enjoyed some episodes, it's just too 'soap-opera'-like to be a true favorite.
I have all 5 seasons (after the first two, the title changed to Justice League Unlimited) on DVD and watch them over and over again (the boys like it as well).
4) Star Trek: The Next Generation--I am certain this one is no surprise to some of you! I have the first two seasons on DVD. Much more fun than any of the other versions of 'Trek'. The only one that comes close is Deep Space 9, in my opinion.
5) MacGyver--Ta-da! Some might have expected this one to be higher, but there have been some really good shows in the past few years...obviously though, this one is a classic. I own the first two seasons (along with various episodes on VHS).
Another that could have been here except for the fact it has not been released on DVD yet (ARGH!) is Spenser for Hire. Loved that show and have been waiting for years to own it...still waiting, obviously.
So, share! What are your Top 5 Shows and why?
Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
18 comments:
Currently, we are watching Human Target also and Burn Notice. We generally like Lie to Me when its on. We wish Jericho and Surface were still on.
Some of my all time (childhood) favs are the A-Team,Family Ties and Simon and Simon. Right now I'm diggin Gilmore Girls reruns and the kids are loving Gilligan's Island. Usually at night if we sit down for a family show its an old western. Lone Ranger seems to be a favorite.
I never got into Jericho, but saw one or two episodes...now Surface-that was very interesting! Watched (and recorded) every episode! We love Gilligan as well as westerns.
I didn't watch A-Team much but loved Simon & Simon.
Hmm. I can think of a few shows that I've been addicted to in the past. I guess that means I was a fan. Alias is probably one of my all-time favorites (except for the last season.) Prison Break was fairly PG-13 in places, but I liked the first two seasons of that. I've been watching Castle and Chuck.
Boy Meets World will always have a special place in my heart. :o) Although someone told me they've decided not to put the seasons out anymore, so I may have missed my chance. Sad day.
I'm also embarrassed to admit that one show I can't change the channel from if it's ever on is the Red Green Show. Never not laughing. :o)
Bonanza is another one that I love when it's on.
Ami, I had forgotten all about The Red Green Show (even though it airs immediately before Doctor Who!). So often I have nearly cried I'd been laughing so hard while watching that show... "Rothschild's Sewage & Septic Sucking Services: We suck, so yours won't blow!" HAHAHAHAHA!
Also, with regard to my Smallville remark; we actually watched it last Friday as a family. I was suckered in by the cast of heroes they had on: Dr. Fate, Stargirl, Hawkman, Martian Manhunter and the usual Clark and Green Arrow. That was some show! We ALL loved it. Too bad there aren't more episodes worthy of that...
Derek here...
Our favorites always seem to find their way to cancellation. The plot on Surface had just exploded when the season ended and the show was cancelled. With Jericho, at least, there was a decent wrap-up effort, but we found that one rivetting. We used to be 24 fans, then it got too rough for us. Love Human Target. Hope it stays clean. I think the opening is neat--kind of thing you don't see anymore. We also love the tongue-in-cheek quality of Burn Notice. Psych is usually pretty good, too. We enjoy the frequent references to obscure or campy '80s music and film. Like Erin said, we've been into the westerns lately. Like Ami, I love Bonanza. We're enjoying 'V' so far, though the 2 1/2 month break after just 4 or 5 episodes is a bit frustrating. I'm a sucker for the sci-fi stuff, though I'm a bit picky. Never could dig any of the star trek spin-offs.
I watched all of the episodes of "V" that were available and loved that. Last night I watched the first episode of Human Target (and by that I mean I fell asleep after the opening) but REALLY loved the opening. :o) I'm sure the actual show is great, too.
I've watched everyone of the 5 episodes thus far of Human Target--can't get enough. I also can't decide on a fav episode..they are all good. You must have been exhausted if you fell asleep watching it, Ami. To me, that's 'edge-of-your-seat' TV.
I really liked "V", but am hesitant to continue watching when it continues because of the rumor mill...I've heard that the Obama administration pulled strings to get the writers fired because the Visitors message hit a little too close to home. I don't know how much stock to put in to that, but the person I heard it from is pretty well informed. I loved the whole "5th Column" and "John Mays" story and the character Ryan was my fav.
My favorite is The Red Green Show. I really love the handyman corner part of the show. Duct tape can fix anything! My second fav is of course Doctor Who. Most of the shows can be a bit creepy but at the same time very funny and lots of fun to watch. Some times April and I get to watch the old western Alias Smith and Jones. I also like watching Bonanza. April told me recently that Hose was LDS. Which is cool because he was my favorite actor of the show even before that. Two shows I miss watching is Family Matters and Home Improvement. I can't get enough of Ercal and Tim the tool man Taylor..
With Bonanza that was supposed to be "Hoss" not Hose.
And the other was supposed to be Urkel!
Wow, Chris...Congratulations. That's most sustained response there's been on this blog for months. I have no idea what Human Target and Burn Notice are. Personal fave at the moment is coverage of the Olympics. I could have that on all day. Otherwise I like most things western and family friendly. That's the only genre around that references many cultural things from my growing up years on the ranch. Nostalgia for me. Fun to see you all "talking". What other topics would get us doing that more? Love you all!
I'm not currently watching them - because they're not currently on - but I have to put them out there: Little House on the Prarie is just good wholesome simple pleasure. The Monkees is just plain ridiculous (yes, I like ridiculous)!
Currently: Doctor Who is the bomb! I still love that Blink episode which is completely uncharacteristic of me. But beware the weeping angels.
The A-team has recently become an addiction for me. It's just good to see someone doing something about all the bad guys out there!
Call me crazy, but I love the Biggest Loser - I just find it inspiring (most of the time).
Jane and the Dragon has to make this list - even Mom likes it! The animation is so much fun and I love the characters!
the forgotten is really cool - I love that they don't focus on who dunnit, but they focus on the victim.
"Blink" was definitely the creepiest of Doctor Who epsisodes...I will never look at angel statutes the same way again! Shar and I watch the forgotten as well and enjoy it. I like to see Christian Slater playing a part I can actually watch.
As of Friday, of course, our family is getting as much Olympics in as we possibly can. It's probably the only time the TV is on 6-8 hours at a time! Cannot get enough.
I hate The Red Green Show. HATE it with a passion. I would rather be subjected to watching static or those colored bars FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE than watch that show even one time. I don't use that word for just anything either. I really like Human Target too.
Brenda! I'm not surprised you don't care for Red Green--perhaps I'll find it in me to forgive you ...;-P
But you like Human Target?! Awesome. That's half of the siblings. Now we just need to work on Ami, April and Andrew...and Mom and Dad. I'm tired of my new shows getting canceled (Journeyman, New Amsterdam, Life--oh, I loved Life!), so let's all give Human Target a chance, please?
Hmmm...just made a small pun in that sentence. Let's see if you Human Target fans find it.
Is the chracter's name Chance? Just thought I'd throw in 2cents worth. (I just realized that these keyboards have no cent sign key! Where have I been?)
Was it that transparent? Yes, the main character goes by the name Christopher Chance.
The others are Guerrero and Winston.
Post a Comment