Friday, September 18, 2009
The Azalea Bush: A Parable of Forgiveness
Last year, Mom and Dad gave me an azalea bush and a rose bush for my birthday. Once they were finally planted, they were both very happy in my yard. I planted the rose bush in my flower bed in front. The azalea bush I planted out back with plans for more azaleas. This year, they were once again very happy. The summer seemed wetter than usual until a few weeks in July brought very high temperatures and little to no moisture (humidity doesn't count). I watered the flowerbed in front because of all the smaller, shallow-rooted flowers. But the azalea bush, I rationalized, would be fine for a little while longer. One morning I looked out my window and saw a very sad bush. I ran outside in horror to discover that the leaves had all turned brown except for a slight green tint on a few of them. I watered it that day - three full buckets of water - almost certain that it was too late. Sure enough - a week later, the bush was completely brown - almost black - despite the light rains that had come that week. I was incredibly disappointed that I had let a gift that I had loved so dearly die. Rains continued to periodically roll through. A couple weeks later, while I was mowing the lawn, I discovered tiny, brand new, bright green leaves growing among the brown ones! I was delighted!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment