Friday, July 3, 2009

San Diego



We've been back from San Diego for a week, now. I figure it's about time to blog about it. We did a lot and there's a lot to tell, so we'll do this in installments. I'll likely attach more pictures than you care to look at. If it get's boring, just pretend to be interested. We had a great time!
Day one (Monday, 6/22): Left home at 8:00 am & headed south to Interstate 8, then west on a course for San Diego. Mapquest put the drive time at 5 hours, 45 minutes. (Figure in extra time for gorgeous, pregnant wife stops.) Kids travelled pretty well, too. Yuma (sand dunes & border patrol checkpoint) ...El Centro (California, for gas) ...a second border patrol checkpoint (didn't get to state my citizenship this time) ...San Diego (hotel @ 3:00 pm to check in & regroup). Sight seeing on Harbor Drive along San Diego Bay, then over the bridge (that's a heckuva ride all by itself) to Coronado Island (not technically an island), and south along 75 'til the kids couldn't stand it anymore. We found the nearest beach (Imperial Beach) & turned them loose. Turns out, Erin and I got to spend our anniversary holding hands on the beach--plus, yelling at kids not run away or drown and rescuing towels and gear from rogue waves. Also, I was surreptiously photographed by a man of questionable orientation. We concluded the evening with a romantic anniversary dinner at Carl's Jr. and a stroll at Sea Port Village (a quaint collection of specialty shops and galleries on the bay).


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Erin said...
The man was not of questionable orientation. He was obviously starstruck. He spied Derek a little ways off, looked at me and the kids and came in closer. He was using his cell phone and when Derek wasn't looking he "sneakily" started taking pictures of him. He left for about 30 mins then came back a little bit later and watched him from behind a nearby wall. Now, the question is, who do you think Derek looks like? My mom always thought he looked like Rab from JAG. (Of course I think he's more handsome).

Jeremy said...

San Diego... I have so many wonderful memories of that place. But I think you guys will have much better ones...That I'm sure of. I'm glad to hear you had such a wonderful time.

Mom said...

Such a great way to celebrate an anniversary! I love all your pics and enjoy your travel stories! Thank you!