Sunday, June 14, 2009

No Vacancy!


Several weeks ago I found Andrew's cub scout creation (aka birdhouse) in the laundry room covered with dust. Thinking it was too fragile to hold up outdoors, I had been using it just for a decoration in the kitchen until the last time I redid things. This time I thought why not at least put it outside where it could look cute in the orange blossom bush near the birdfeeder right by the window? I just casually hung it on the first little knob that came in sight and left it. About a week ago Ami noticed as she walked past the bush activity near the tiny house and investigated further. There were two tiny brown birds flitting back and forth with their beaks full of bugs to stuff into chirpy tinier birds inside. We have had fun watching how diligent and faithful the parent birds are taking turns in and out every few minutes with nourishment for their brood. I think there are three little mouths to feed, but I don't have an actual count. The house swings in the tiniest of breezes and even just the weight of the parents coming and going sets it swaying. Hope it stays put long enough for the new family to take flight. Chris helped us look them up on the internet and we have determined them to be Carolina wrens.

3 comments:

Andrew said...

Nice! Thanks for sharing!

April Dawn said...

That's so cool! Such cute little birds.

Mom said...

Well, for the rest of the story...Sunday, I had mentioned to your dad that we needed pictures before the little ones were all grown up and gone from the nest. Monday while we were eating breakfast we didn't see any feeding activity out there. Later I went out and looked up close. They are all gone. Such timing!