Monday, March 30, 2009

Favorite Season

Hello, from sunny Arizona. This is my favorite time of the year. We've hovered in the 70-80 degree range for daytime temps for the last couple of weeks, with lots of sun and cool, gentle breezes. Last night, we had the doors and windows all open, and it felt like a summer night in the Rockies. We spent February cutting back overgrown plants and trimming dead foliage and old growth (something I do every year with most of our plants). Now, we're enjoying the fruits of our labors. (Not literally--the grapevines are taking off but have just begun to start clusters.) Here are some photos of things growing in our yard. The pomegranate tree is a favorite and draws a fair number of questions and comments (and sometimes requests for fruit) from neighbors and passersby. The fruit will be ready in early October, depending on when nighttime temps start to drop.


Iceplant


Iceplant, trailing



Pomegranate blossoms


Pomegranate tree



3 comments:

Andrew said...

nice!! thanks for sharing!

Mom said...

Nice return on all that labor! I love this time of the year, but am not getting anything done useful outdoors yet. Historical note:YOUR DAD BOUGHT A NEW MOWER! He came in last night after a couple of hours of trying to get the old one running and said "I give up! I'm going to Lowe's!" I thought he just meant that he needed some part or other. But low and below we now have a very tidy and trim and light weight mower which he eagerly put together and tested this morning before conference!

Christopher said...

I had no idea pomegranete (sp?) blossoms were so beautiful! And I thought I couldn't like them any more than I already do...I love pomegranetes--a lot!