Monday, October 27, 2008

SOMEONE IS MISSING

It has been one month and 20 days since we lost Matt.




On Sunday, September 7, Matt was in a car wreck coming home from Los Angeles early in the morning. It isn't getting any easier to write about so I'm thinking it's time to "face the music" as Matt might tell us. I am including the tribute written by his brother Dan for the papers in Arizona.
"Matt was an exemplary man...His passion to achieve the greatest desires of his heart fueled his life ambitions and continually opened doors of opportunity and friendship. No mountain was too high, or river too long, or valley too deep for Matt to take on. He will be remembered for his sense of humor, endless devotion, and desire to succeed in life."
In the weeks I have been with Brenda here in Arizona, I have talked to dozens of people who worked with and admired Matt for many different reasons. Each has mentioned some way in which his/her life is different because something Matt did or said from goofy to encouraging, to totally inspiring. Missionary journal entries are evidence of a heart devoted to the work of sharing the gospel and thereby brightening the lives of the people of South Africa with its message of love and hope.
Then there's the Music! It's all about the fulness of life and living and laughing and loving. Music has always been a necessary part and creation in his life. Everyone who hears it finds something of their own experience in it...something especially for them.
For Matt, I think life was about getting all you could get from every day and always looking further down the road and around the next bend and beyond every obstacle to wherever it could take him and his dreams; the most important being Brenda and his boys.
I have learned a few things during all of this: Tell people you love that you do. Say you're sorry when you are. Enjoy the sunsets and rises. Make music of the world around you. Smile often and don't let life get too ordinary. Take risks with getting to know new people. Don't be afraid to try. If one thing doesn't quite work, do something different.
Personally I think Matt is still doing all of these things and much more... just somewhere out on the road ahead of the rest of us.

2 comments:

Andrew said...

Mom, thanks for sharing.

Erin said...

I have been very impressed with the amount of people out here who truly admire Matt and feel they are better people for having known him. Derek wishes the whole family could've heard the blessing Brenda received from her Bishop that Sunday morning and know of the tremendous amount of love that Matt and Heavenly Father have for each other.
I think you're right with it being "time to face the music". It's a little tricky in our house right now. I have one child who needs to talk about him and one who bursts into tears or gets angry if anyone mentions his name.
I like the things you've learned. I feel like I look at the world through different eyes now. Maybe someday we can all look back on this and realize the good that has come from it is the growth and change we have experienced.