Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Freaky Feet

Well... it occurred to me as I was talking to Andrew earlier and made a comment about my feet that most of you haven't heard about my lame-o foot condition (or didn't understand if you did). Hooray for anatomy lessons!

I, along with 10% of the world's population, have an extra little bone in each of my feet. Lucky me. Apparently flat feet are an indication of this rare bone possession (Andrew...). Anywho... (Did I just say that!? I hate it when people say that.) The bone is called the accessory navicular. Undoubtedly, it's called that due to it's location just proximal to the navicular bone... as pictured below. (If it were actually an accessory to the navicular, I would assume it would be a bussell of some sort.)

The posterior tibial tendon in normal feet attaches to the navicular, just where the accessory lies in abnormal feet such as mine. For those of us so blessed, the tendon attaches to the small accessory bone instead of to the big, sturdy navicular. Apparently at some point during my graduation and finals preparation (basketball played a big part in my focusing ability) I stressed my P2T (I made that up... it stands for posterior tibial tendon... not pronounced "Patootie".) which pulled my accessory navicular out of place...and is now free to move about the instep of my foot. :o)

It has been suggested that I may need surgery to remove the accessory bones and reattach my tendon to its rightful insertion. Yay, me! Just in time for me to be kicked off Dad's insurance!


Note: Not an X-ray of my actual foot.

4 comments:

Brenda said...

Yeah, you're freaky alright.

April Dawn said...

That sounds like a lot of not fun!

Christopher said...

We always knew you were 'special' Ami and this just proves it in one more way.... :-P

Mom said...

Only Ami could give us such an indepth report on her uniqueness! Who else understands the Jargon? When she explained it to Drew who is a chiropractic doctor I noticed he even seemed confused until he saw the xray.