Monday, May 5, 2008

Tastes like chicken

Today I discovered there is a momma cat and three kittens living in the bottom of our built in BBQ. I saw all of them climb in the small opening in the back. The kittens don't look big enough to climb over the cinderblock wall so I'm thinking they were born in there. We use the grill regularly, so I'm not really sure how they've avoided being roasted. So here's my issue. After making some phone calls today to the AZ Humane society and the SPCA, I've learned that there are laws requiring agencies to come and get dogs, but not cats. So if I want to be rid of these cats, I have to go buy a trap, trap them and haul them down to the SPCA myself. How lame is that?!

10 comments:

Erin said...

That's pretty lame. Maybe you could find a way to make things inhospitable (spelling?) and they would leave of their own accord. That's pretty much how we got rid of the skunk that was holed up under our spa.
-Derek

Andrew said...

That's not just lame, that's outlandish!!!! There are more annoying cats in this world than there are dogs. Sorry!!

Ami said...

Actually... I don't think that's true. I would have to say that mangy stray dogs are definitely more disgusting and annoying than any number of stray cats.

Ami said...

And they don't poo everywhere.

Mom said...

Why do you always get the animal dramas? Never a dull moment at your house. It takes about eight weeks for kittens to get big enough to move on and the mother cat may do so sooner depending on her options. Are you planning to use the grill soon or regularly? What are the cats like---colors?
Maybe you can find homes for them. Try calling a vet for options.

Erin said...

Maybe you can use this to your advantage. Sell them and keep the mula. It might not be alot but maybe at least the hassle of dealing with them. By the way, Ami, cats try to poo in our sandbox all the time but a dog never has!

Ami said...

Hmm... well at least they're trying to be neat. Dogs poo in unexpected places!
Bren, you should totally sell them. Perhaps it's a blessing in disguise!!

Brenda said...

It's kind of dramatic, but I'm kind of feeling like I can't catch a break right now. Probably it would be easier if the momma cat runs off early because she's mean. If she takes off we can just haul them wherever. They are cute. One is solid black, the other two are white with gray and black. Do people still pay for cats?

Mom said...

Only at the pet store or if they want pedigreed felines. So this sounds like a real wild or otherwise known as ferule (spell check was not helpful on that) cat.Your best bet for getting rid or them is making it unpleasant like Derek recommended. Maybe Petsmart would have a suggestion.

Mom said...

any changes in your dilemma?